Saturday, December 8, 2007

Day 3 in Pana!

Another night without much sleep. I can't believe how little of sleep I had been getting. Vanessa keeps us hopping. She is really hard to keep up with. I am warning you all! Bright and early we were waiting for Vanessa's Birth family to have breakfast with them at the restaurant. It was really great to see them again. They are so easy to fall in love with. Diego is the oldest and he was a sweet boy. That boy can really eat. I guess he is a typical boy of 12. They all really enjoyed playing with Vanessa and my cameras. I showed them how to take a picture and Diego and Candeleria took over taking pictures of everyone. They really thought it was so cool to take pictures and then show them to their mother and everyone.


After breakfast we walked across the street to the hotel so Vanessa could give them the gifts she got for them. Vanessa gave the mother and the girls their traditional clothing to open first. The mother was so emotional and went on and on about how much she appreciated her new clothing. We were all so wrapped up in the moment when I noticed Diego standing there without a gift and full of the biggest smile saying " Bonita" which means beautiful. He was truly happy for his mother and sisters, not thinking of himself at all. I leaned over and told Vanessa the boys have not received their gifts. Vanessa handed the boys their backpacks. Diego seamed even more surprised. This boy has a special spot in my heart. They all loved each and every gift that Vanessa had given to them and we all hated to say goodbye. We walked them down and Vanessa got them 2 tuk-tuks to get them all to the boat to take them across Lake Atitalan. It was a very emotional goodbye. Little Carmen was the first to shed tears and it became quickly contagious. Christy, Vanessa and I walked mostly in silence back up to the hotel room. We were all tearful and It was very painful to hold back many more tears but felt I need to try to keep it together for Vanessa's sake. I love and miss them and I will always be grateful to Vanessa for letting me meet those wonderful, beautiful children.

0 comments: