Saturday, December 8, 2007

Casa Hoga Feliz Christmas Party! (still day 3)

The van is here! We got all the gifts for the Casa Hogar Feliz Christmas party loaded in the van and ready to go. Oops, we almost forgot about Cake #1.

Thanks Vanessa! Half way around the block, Oops we forgot Santa ( the pinata ) back in the hotel room. Thanks again Vanessa! Don't forget we need to pick-up Cake #2 &3. We got to Sharon's house and my sponsored girls mother was there with a gift for me! I was so excited. The children all drew pictures for me and Estela brought me a handmade fabric that she had made. It is beautiful! She also gave me photos of Laisa's Graduation last year. I respect Estela immensely! She is a single mom and it is obvious her children's education is most important to her. It was a very quick and sad visit. They are always in my thoughts and prayers.
We had to hurry and pick up the rest of the crew for the party. Somehow, there ended up be about 15 extra people. Good thing we had 3 cakes.
Oh No, tummy trouble! Yes, Vanessa and I both started not to feel well. I was not nearly as bad as Vanessa. By the time we got to the orphanage Vanessa was throwing up.
Thank Goodness for one extra person. Dr. Jennifer has this miracle drug. Within 1/2 hour we were both feeling much better. What a party saver!
The children were eating when we arrived then quickly cleaned up the tables and started getting ready.
We learned quickly that the children were planning to put on a show for us.

The home was nice and clean. Each child has their own bed.
Juan Carlo and Sergio were in their room working on the electric guitar. Sergio is very friendly and he played the guitar for me.


Obed was as adorable as ever. I caught him doing a little dance.

I was so happy to meet Unn-Lisbet. She truly has a gift with the children and many of them call her "Mama" They all love her dearly. Lisbet told me that she was once a music teacher and she feels music is very important for the children. I got the impression that the children like to put on shows and play music.

Olga was there also. She is the mother of Christy's sponsored child. She also has a special relationship to the children.

I noticed glances from many of the children to Olga, looking for her approvement in what they were doing. She is a remarkable person.

The children were so cute putting on the show for us. Nahum is a real cutie!

We were all taking turns taking pictures in front of the tree and he was the one everyone wanted a photo with. Many of the children were very shy and it is understandable from their history it would take much more time than we had for them to warm up to us.

The show started and the children were so cute. The music was really good too.


After the show the clowns came out. Even in Spanish it was very funny. The children were laughing so much and I loved seeing them so happy and laughing.

The children had so much fun with the pinata too. I have to admit it did not take long at all before it was in pieces. I was lucky to get a photo!

The crowd went crazy when Santa came out. They children were so excited. First they handed out the toy gifts to the children then the clothing that I brought for them. They were very surprised to see they were all going to open more gifts.
They love everything! They were all smiling and running around showing each other what they received. Then we brought out the gifts for Unn-Lisbet.

We all gave her the gifts that were for the orphanage. She opened gifts of books, educational toys and kitchen items. All the children sat on the ground around Lisbet as she opened each item and showed them to the children. I am so happy the children have her. She is their mom, it is plain to see!

After all the gifts were opened. We HAD to get a photo with Santa!
Vanessa, Me, Santa, Christy and Unn-Lisbet.


The cakes were HUGE and there were 3 of them!
That is actually a picnic table they are on. The children had pieces larger than they could ever eat but they did the best they could. It was sad to say goodbye but I hope to stay in contact with Unn-Lisbet and see them all again next year.
Heading back to Sharon's was sad. This would be our last day in Panajachel. It had been such a full 3 days and I felt I had not done enough to help. I look forward to next year. These children will be in my dreams and my prayers until I see them again.
Back at hotel K. Vanessa had a wonderful idea of taking a bag of candy and toys out to the children in the streets of Panajachel. Vanessa and I got 2 bags full of all the candy and toys we had left and walked down the street handing candy, play-doh, socks, t-shirts, etc out to the children. Before we knew it the word was out and we had a trail of kids behind us. It was so much fun and everyone was so happy to get a little something.

0 comments: