Monday, June 23, 2008

Doctor Check-ups

Thursday I took the kids to the doctor so they could get their physicals for school. Rylee could not wait to visit Dr. R. (The little girl is completely clueless, thank goodness.) Wyatt on the other hand has some memories of "SHOTS" so he tends to be more cautious.
He never came out and asked me if he would be getting any so I did offer the information. The closer we got to the doctors office I started to feel guilty that I had not informed him about the shots so I did tell him he would be getting his Immunizations for school. Still, THANK GOODNESS he did not ask what they were.
All was going well with the check-up processes.
First Wyatt.
The Doctor tells me Wyatt is starting to put on a little weight. He needs to exercise more and eat lighter snacks. I tell the doctor Wyatt is always hungry. Ten minutes after a meal he wants more food. Then the man gives me a quick list of healthy snacks he should be eating. Well, he obviously does not know me very well. But, some of you already know how picky I am with what I will let my kids eat. How could I deny them any more than I already do. That's just Crazy talk. Then he had Wyatt take off his shirt and asks me. "Did he have Pyloric Stenosis?" My answer was, "Yes, you were there. You have been Wyatt's doctor since he we born." I think I really hit a nerve when I said, "I guess you have a lot of kids that you see but, we only have one doctor." He looked at me tight lipped and nodded.
Wyatt totally respects everything that Dr. R. says. I can always get Wyatt to do things at home and remind him that "Dr. R. said..." and he will practice whatever Dr. R. wants him to. Like learn to swim, wipe his own bottom, ride a bike without training wheels, be nice to his sister, etc. I highly recommend this if it is possible, It really does helps! And with Rylee too.
Next was Rylee. She is doing great and he made sure to tell me not to change her diet she is now a whooping 23 pounds and "at 10% of the average AMERICAN child". So, that information does not tell me anything really. She is such a tiny fire cracker, though! She was all excited to visit Dr. R. but when he came into the room she turned very shy. She was a little frightened and started saying she wanted her Daddy. This information later did not impress "Daddy". He said he had been the one to take them there, she would be asking for Mommy. I tryed!
All Done!
Oh, I forgot, The IMMUNIZATIONS!
The nurse came in and told Wyatt to lay on the table and me to hold his hands. She was going to put his legs between hers. Then he saw the needles. Instant panic, screaming and flailing. Needles went flying across the room. We needed more help. Another nurse comes in and we all are holding him down now. After the first shot of 4 (two in each leg) and hearing him cry, it took I could not to cry with him. After it was all over and still crying, Wyatt said, "I never want to come back here again!" over and over again! I felt just awful for him. I ended up carrying this 5 year old 50 pound boy out while my little Rylee walked behind. Looked very odd, I am sure. Then we headed to Wal-Mart.
Wyatt still complaining his legs hurt I got the closest cart to my car I could find then unloaded my kids into it.
First stop... Children's Tylenol.
Second stop... Toy for each. Wyatt because he had such a rough day and Rylee, because I was getting one for Wyatt.
Last stop... Mommy's new HUGE, purse filling, Awesome camera!!! (It has been draining my rechargeable batteries fast though.)
Both kids fell asleep in the car on the way home. Rylee woke up pulling into the driveway. Daddy came out to greet us and assisted Wyatt with his "Sleep Limping". He layed on the couch, didn't even open his new toy, (That's not normal) and fell asleep. We let him sleep through dinner and woke him to get his PJ's on and put him to bed and he slept all night.
My poor little guy!

5 comments:

Becky said...

Ouch! Poor Wyatt! Four shots at once - no fun at all. Not for Mommy either, I'm sure.

Cindy said...

Poor Wyatt, what a rough day! Poor Mommy, too! I've had to do the whole holding'em done thing and it's not fun. Daniel has to be held done for the exam, don't think he likes our pediatrician.

Stacey and Dewey said...

Oh poor little guy. I hope hes feeling back to himself now. When we first took Luke for his imunizations I didnt think anything of it. I have seen so many docs that needles don't phase me. Well as soon as the needle headed towards Lukes little arm I FREAKED. He cried, I cried, very tramatic. So I feel for you.
You should tell your Doc to take a look at your blog Wyatt is always outside, I don't know how he could be any more active. He looks happy and healthy what more could you ask for?
Hugs
Stacey

Anonymous said...

UGh! Poor Wyatt! Kindergarten shots are the worst! Our ped does them at their 4 year check up cause she says it's easier then rather than the 5 year! Anyway, I feel your pain. I usually cry with them and I'm a nurse. Pathetic, huh?? HOpe he is feeling better...and enjoying his new toy!

Angie said...

Aw, poor Wyatt....I know Quintin isn't looking forward to them either. He says he doesn't want to go to kindergarten because he doesn't want the shots. And I always take my kids for an ice cream treat afterwards (I know, I am not as health conscious as you!) and all of them up till now have done really well. I have a huge feeling that Quintin will be changing all that.
And did you tell your doc that you RARELY give your kids and unhealthy snack.? Holy cow. Poor Wyatt. Maybe there is an underlying health issue...thyroid or something.