Saturday, April 19, 2008

Mice!, Raccoons!, EARTHQUAKE?!, Oh My!

We started our camping trip Thursday at Lincoln State Park! The weather was PERFECT!
After unloading and making our little cabin "Comfy Cozy", we settled into our beds.
The cabin had 4 bedrooms and Thursday night it was just us! We selected one of the bedrooms that had 2 sets of bunk beds. Craig and I slept on the top bunks and Wyatt and Rylee got the bottom bunk beds.
Craig decided to sit by the camp fire and enjoy the night for a while. Just shortly after getting the kids asleep, I start to hear a scratching sound and every time I would move to listen closer to find out where it was coming from it would stop. When I realized it was coming from the corner of where Rylee was sleeping, I freaked out, I ran outside to tell Craig there was a "Critter" in our room under Rylee's bed. Craig came in we turned on the lights (kids are still sound asleep) and no movement was heard. We went ahead and put Rylee on the top bunk with me and Craig decided he would go to bed too. Just as I was seconds away from sleep, Craig jumps up and says there are mice in his mattress and they are scratching to get out! Eeeewwww! He picks up the mattress and throws it out on the porch then jumps into the bottom bunk with Wyatt. Now we can rest. Oh no, now what is that noise? Critters outside trying to get in? RACCOON trying to get into our garbage can on the porch. Gees, I need some sleep and now Rylee as little as she is know well how to take over a twin size bed. I did get doze off between the kicks and the thrashings. Then somewhere around 4:30 AM, I woke to the strangest sound and the whole cabin was shaking. I yelled for Craig, "What is that?"
"It's a Earthquake, get down here!" Craig said jumping up and grabbing Rylee from the top bunk! It lasted about 40 seconds then I looked over at Craig and said "We don't have Earthquakes. What are you suppose to do in an Earthquake?" After it was over I jumped up and turned on the Radio. Yep, it was an Earthquake! Back to bed! Did you notice I did not say "Back to SLEEP?"

7 comments:

Becky said...

What an adventure! I don't think I could have gone back to sleep either after a night like that. Hope the rest of the weekend was better.

Anonymous said...

What a wild night! I couldn't have slept after all that, either. Hope the rest of the weekend was more restful.

Anonymous said...

What a wild night! I couldn't have slept after all that, either. Hope the rest of the weekend was more restful.

Greta Jo said...

I would of grapped my pillow, blanket and slept in the car. Uh! I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your stay.

Stacey and Dewey said...

SO let me ask.... are you ever going camping again?? Good grief mice in the mattress YUCK!! I was born and raised in Calif so Erthquakes don't bother me as much as the mice would :) But to put it all together in the same night?? It might be awhile before I camped again.
Have a great week!!
Stacey

Laurie said...

OOH my! I would have like to experienced the earthquake but MICE...NO WAY! Bless your heart. Are you going camping again?

Angie said...

I think I would have slept in the car after the mice thing. You all are brave.