Tuesday, March 4, 2008

CRHP

What CRHP has meant to me.
This past weekend I had gone on a Catholic Retreat called CRHP (Christ Renews His Parish). Let me tell you, it did in me! I am still carrying the weekend in my thoughts.
I had no real idea what to expect. I had spoken with a few others that had gone on previous CRHP weekends. They did not give me any great details on what to expect but I did see their excitement and looking in their eyes a glow deep inside of them. I wanted to fell like that.
All my life I wanted exactly what I have, a wonderful husband, healthy beautiful children, a great job and I have it all.
Something was missing, I still was not happy.
I was always yelling at my kids for being kids, my husband could never do enough to help around the house or with the kids and my job was going through many changes.
I reminded myself from time to time that I have everything I ever wanted, but I still should have been happier.
This past weekend made me realize just going through the motions of being Catholic and trying to be a “Good Person” does not get me to “Happy” I need GOD in my life every day and every moment. The past few days with my children and my husband and even work have been remarkable. If you are Catholic and you have the opportunity to go on a CRHP weekend. I assure you, you will not regret your experience.

The Wolves Within.

An old Grandfather Indian Chief spoke softly to his young grandson, who had come crying to him with anger in his heart towards a friend who had embarrassed him in front of all their friends. The grandfather explained that he too had felt great anger and even hate towards people at times for being mean to him. The Grandfather said that he had struggled with many emotions throughout his life and compared them to having two wolves inside him.

The Grandfather explained one wolf is good and does no harm. This wolf likes people and wants to live in harmony with everyone around him. This wolf has the emotions of peace, love, hope, kindness, compassion, forgiveness, generosity, empathy, faith, and serenity. The other wolf is bad and full of anger and hatred towards others. His emotions are ones of envy, sorrow, self-pity, greed, merciless, resentment, false pride, superiority, and regret. The Grandfather said it is hard having both of these wolves living inside him. He said the wolves are always competing to see who is the strongest and who will dominate his heart and spirit.

The grandson thought about what his grandfather had just told him and a concerned look came over his face. “Grandfather” he asked, “Which wolf wins?” The Grandfather hesitated for a moment and looked into his grandson’s eyes, placed his hand on his grandson’s heart and quietly said, “The one you feed.”

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on the CHRP weekend. I just finished mine as well. It was a gift. Life changing. To know there are others that have the same stuggles and to see God working through them to bring us closer to him was amazing..

God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Ruthie says-
Marlene that is the most beautiful witness I have ever heard after attending CRHP! Thank you so much for sharing that and of course, you know me well enough to know, that made me cry happy tears!
There truly is no better feeling than loving God!

Laurie said...

So glad you enjoyed your CHRP weekend. Those types of events are definitely revitalizing and life changing! :)

Anonymous said...

So glad you had a great time!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that you enjoyed your CHRP.

Vanessa said...

Glad you had an awesome experience!! I love the wolf story because boy that is so simply put but oh so true!!
Hugs
Vanessa
www.mommyslilblessings.blogspot.com

Vanessa said...

Glad you had an awesome experience!! I love the wolf story because boy that is so simply put but oh so true!!
Hugs
Vanessa
www.mommyslilblessings.blogspot.com

junglemama said...

It is so good to hear this weekend was so renewing for you! I know that retreats always lift my spirits and are so freeing.

Misty McKibben-Melvin said...

Thank you for taking the time to post this!! What a blessing....we are blessed, it is just hard to stay focused sometimes. Thanks for sharing!
Misty